Friday, February 29, 2008

How To Waste A Day

1. Get on the Internet.

2. Download and install Google Earth.

3. Run Google Earth program.

4. Watch 6 hours of your life disappear.

I have a curiosity (some say it's an obsession) with places I can't go. I love seeing what's around the corner, behind the door, and on the other side of the hill. My love of covert military operations further intensifies this curiosity.

After reading about the B-2 Stealth Bomber crash the other day, I thought it would be interesting to look up Guam and Anderson Air Force Base to see if I could see any of the 4 B-2s stationed there, sitting on the tarmac (my favorite word in the world).

While I didn't find any B-2s out in the open, I did see a bunch of other jets and cool G.I. Joe style buildings.

So then I looked up Edwards, and Whiteman, and Vandenburg. Then I started looking up U.S. bases in Iraq. I perused the different camps at Guantanamo. I saw Area 51 and the Nevada Nuclear Testing Grounds.

I am in voyeur heaven. I have a bird's eye view of all the places I can't access, all at my fingertips.

Today I'm feeling less militant, so I'm going to tour some UNESCO World Heritage sites.

0 comments: