Saturday, November 15, 2008

What to do?

What do you do when you know you need to do a task (in my case study), but don't know where to start, nor do you really have the focus or determination to start even if you did know where?

Here's my list:

  • check email
  • catch up on favorite bloggers
  • check the news
  • check facebook
  • change facebook status
  • read your friends' statuses
  • comment on those statuses
  • write a blog
I've come to the end of my list only because the list is being made in real time and I don't know what I'll do next. Maybe I'll start studying. Maybe I'll make a peanut butter and honey sandwich. Maybe I'll start writing a novel.

Its funny how I have motivation when there is nothing to do, like sitting in class or on the drive home. "I'm going to spend all weekend studying and really get a handle on my exam prep!"

Maybe that's the difference between me and, say, every successful person out there.

I wonder if Barack Obama delayed the start of his campaign because he did not know where to start (and breaking wildfire coverage was on the news...and he couldn't concentrate because his cat was wheezing).

3 comments:

a work in progress said...

You just described the repeated activities of most of my day. Oh good, finally got some reading done . . . hmmmm. Not motivated I will (insert your list), sans blog. Hey, why aren't you my facebook friend? More distractions would be helpful John. Good luck! And the cat, totally should not be a distraction just because it's wheezing. But the fire - that counts.

Captain Chipmunk said...

Glad I'm not the only one! I really wish I could beat this laziness/procrastination thing I have. I'm not sure quite how to do it. I guess recognizing that I have it is a first step, but not sure what #2 would be. By a motivation book? Actually do something instead of thinking about why I'm lazy? I really don't know.

BTW - Thank you for being my best commenter!

Fortune said...

Peanut Butter and Honey sandwiches are the best sandwiches